"In this classroom, relationships are fostered, families are respected, and children are honored.
In this classroom, nature's gifts are valued and children's thoughts are captured.
In this classroom, learning is alive and aesthetic beauty is appreciated." -Unknown

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Celebrating Friendship, Eating Yummy Food, and Enjoying a Good Book

We all long for friendship and in preschool we
celebrate it daily, but maybe on days like today
we just express it a little bit more. I felt that
the song You've Got a Friend in Me from Toy Story
was a fitting tribute to our post today. Enjoy!


What a fun day!! We began with passing out 
friendship notes/Valentines to all our friends.



We then began our Friendship Cherry Pies!! 
Each child placed a graham cracker in a ziploc bag
and began crushing it. Some used their fists,
while others tried their elbows.



After the graham cracker crumbs were in the cup
each child would put cherry pie filling in next.


I put the whipped topping in for each child 
and then they placed the cups on a tray.
The trays went in the fridge until after lunch 
when we thoroughly enjoyed our treats.


Had to share this hair!! One of my
parents found this inspiration on Pinterest
to do for her daughter's hair. Awesome!!


 I then shared on of my favorite Valentine's Day stories,
Slugs in Love by Susan Pearson. In the story Marylou the slug
has a crush on Herbie the slug. Great story and lots of 
opportunities for discussion as words are introduced,
such as: bashful, sublime, and more. I've shared this
story for 3 years and this year's group were the most
engaged in the story that I've experienced. There was
even talk about how Marylou began a little shy and got
less and less shy as the story went on and questions
about how she wrote with her "slime". Love it!!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I love the Friendship Cherry Pie idea! And I'll have to keep my eye out for that book! It sounds like a fun read for the children! Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Shannon. I got my copy through Scholastic, but I'm sure you can get it through Amazon.

      Delete